Owners of overgrown stands will soon receive letters from the Municipality requiring them to clean their stands. If they fail to do so, the Municipality will obtain a quote from a contractor and have the work done. This expense will be added to the municipal account of the stand owner.
Here are the guidelines provided by the Municipality that owners and contractors should follow:
- All invader plants should be felled and removed from site.
- Protected trees e.g. milkwood and cheesewood may not be felled until authorisation is obtained.
- Selective spacing and thinning out of non protected and non dominant trees should take place to give the stand a parkland appearance.
- Dense undergrowth should be cleared and removed to provide unhindered access to firefighters.
- The remaining trees, including milkwood and cheesewood, (subject to obtaining the relevant permit from the Dept of Forestry in Kynsna) should have lower branches pruned to around 1.5 meters above the ground.
- All dead, dry and pruned material is to be removed from site.
Continued maintenance e.g. pruning, cutting and removal of dry and dead material should be done regularly, at least once a year'
Is your stand subject to the provisions of the OSCAE Act
Please note that WRRA has compiled this list in good faith but cannot guarantee that it is complete.